Sunday, November 6, 2011

Do wars serve some mysterious higher purpose?

Yesterday I attended a funeral for a friend’s mother at Arlington National Cemetery. During the service, my eyes focused on three nearby gravestones — a Lt. Colonel, a 1st Lieutenant, and a captain. The inscriptions on the gravestones stated that all three had served in Iraq and Afghanistan and that all three had died in 2011. I noticed that the captain died at the age of 30.

All I could think was: What a horrible waste of life. Three lives shortened, needlessly. All three, dying for nothing.

Well, they didn't die for nothing, even though they didn't die for the ostensible purpose of the "war." War produces a lot of evil, but it also produces some good, although previously I've indicated that they are purely evil and destructive. There are aspects of these "wars" which are almost purely evil, but the "wars" themselves aren't totally evil. There are those who would say that they're just NECESSARY in order to bring about human destiny, which is the general outline of our future, around which we are allowed a certain amount of free will, and which is determined by beings far beyond what we can imagine. What might seem evil from a human perspective might serve a good purpose from the perspectives of these beings.

But as I said, there are some things that are particularly evil, such as Satanism (which Rudolf Steiner, an initiate, called "radically evil" practically in the same breath in which he said that nothing is purely good or evil), and black magic, which he considered to be the greatest crime that could possibly be committed, because its goal is to destroy the essence of the human being, which Orwell called "the obliteration of the self."

So, that's where I draw the line, even though these intentionally concentrated forms of evil might end up getting "watered down" by higher forces and wind up serving these mysterious higher purposes. I sincerely doubt that I'm going to interfere with the fulfillment of human destiny, in any case. Is it necessary to let monsters run amok, hidden behind smokescreens of respectability, so that human destiny can be fulfilled? Perhaps, but I'm not a god, so it would be pretentious for me to react as I imagine one might react. So, that's why I say that Guede is a monster, and that I suspect that he will eventually be declared to be innocent in Meredith Kercher's murder and compensated for "false" imprisonment, which is actually grossly insufficient imprisonment.