Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mysterious uploads in background average 6MB daily


Out of curiosity over how much data I consume, I got a copy of Bandwidth Monitor Pro, and besides discovering that I consume a surprising amount of data considering the sorts of things I do, I also discovered that my computer uploads about 6 MB daily.  Considering that the "uploads" which I initiate consist of requests for web pages and small blog entries, I doubt that they add up to anything like 6 MB.

Furthermore, even when my ISP denies me internet access for no good reason, my computer downloads and uploads a few hundred KB in the short time before I shut down my connection, which I do because it would be pointless to leave it on.  So, it would seem that even though I can't access the internet, it, or someone on it, can access my computer.