Thursday, June 13, 2013

Microshaft: The king of the private-sector "NSA's"



My transition to Ubuntu began when my computer utterly died immediately after a weekly Windows "security update." (Whose security was improved by taking me out of action?)  I was forced to buy a Windows 7 PC just to learn enough about Ubuntu to start using it, but I've rigged up the computer to allow me to switch easily between hard drives, or to turn them off altogether and run on flash drives only.  So, Windows is effectively in a coma when its drive is off (which is the vast majority of the time), so it can't possibly spy on or interfere with Ubuntu.

I've dreaded the day when I would end up getting back online while running Windows, and today was that day, because I thought I could download Kindle for PC and start reading Kindle e-books without shelling out for a reader. So, I downloaded the program, and tried to run it, but it won't run.  It asks for permission, and I grant it, but it acts as if it still doesn't have permission. So, I smell a Microshaft rat. After all, they would know what I was trying to do with their operating system, and it appears that they blocked me from running K4PC, just as they caused their operating system to stop recognizing my HD Homerun after I got it running with Windows Media Center. Because of that, I was forced to get the HDHR working with Ubuntu, which is actually better for that purpose, as well as most others.

But there's a way to run K4PC on an "Ubuntu PC," and that is to get Wine, a Windows emulator for Linux, and a veritable stake through Microshaft's undead heart as far as I'm concerned. Now I'll be able to put that almost totally unused hard drive to a good use.