Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ubuntu not found on Ubuntu servers?

I recently attempted to update my HDD installation of Ubuntu 12,04, but toward the end of the process of downloading the list of files that were required for the update, the process came to a halt, supposedly because one of the files couldn't be found on the server.  To put this in stark terms, an official server for the Ubuntu operating system, SUPPOSEDLY COULD NOT FIND UPDATES FOR UBUNTU VERSION 12.04, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE UPGRADEABLE UNTIL 2017!  Also of interest is the fact that the DOWNLOAD PROCESS WAS INTERRUPTED NEAR THE END, AS USUAL.

Another interesting aspect of this incident is that I tried to skip over the file that was supposedly unavailable, and download the rest of the list. (I was using Wassail, which downloads lists of files - which are potentially very long - to download the approximately 400 MB update via a public library computer with a high-speed internet connection and Windows 7, which has the .NET framework which Wassail requires. Wassail allows "not found" files to be skipped so that the process can resume.)

But the download did not continue, indicating that the problem was not just a missing file, but more likely a deliberate termination of the process, perhaps via software controlled by a blacklist. (There are ways for a server to know, using secret data typically reserved for "the authorities," who is trying to download something. Look up "computer forensics.")

So, it's logical to conclude that this interruption was deliberate, and targeted at me, perhaps because I've been dragging my feet on making donations, although more likely for reasons that readers of this blog should be able to determine.

I wish I could put the administrator of the server in question on the spot on some TV show such as on ABC's The Lookout, and ask him why his server supposedly could not find the most basic of files which it's supposed to contain, and why I was unable to skip over the supposedly missing file and continue to download the rest. But of course this will never happen. Those who do such things first ensure that they can always hide behind some machine, organization, or some lame cover story.

This incident epitomizes the frustration I have experienced with using Ubuntu, and which I gather I would experience with any other variety of Linux. Every time I seek an answer to some basic question, I find little but forums which are essentially liars' clubs, pretending to try to answer questions but rarely actually doing so. I once tried to insert some useful information into one of these forums,  Even though it was on-topic and very brief, the "moderator" removed it in a matter of minutes (after a comment by some other "member" that it might not be on-topic).  So, they have trolls trolling these forums for direct answers, and then they remove them with some lame excuse.

I recommend saving your time and sanity, and getting a Chromebook for online computing (assuming you have a cable connection with virtually unlimited data, because in my experience, Chrome is a data hog of incredible proportions), or Apple. Apple systems might be expensive, but I gather that that's because they actually work without having to be tweaked by someone with a degree in Linux programming, and they don't have the ridiculous security problems which Windows has, and will evidently always have.